Staff members at the Boys & Girls Club keep the safety of our members a top priority. Our standards and expectations exist to ensure that your child and every other child at the Club can safely enjoy the Club’s activities. They include:
- Respect yourself
- Play fairly and be honest
- Applaud the efforts of others
- Avoid inappropriate language
- Say only good things about others
- Be respectful of the Club staff members
- Resolve disagreements in a positive way
- Running is reserved for the gym and outside
- Listen during appropriate times and assemblies
- Be respectful of other members and their property
- Tobacco, drugs, alcohol and weapons are prohibited
- Take care of the Club building, grounds & equipment
Please anticipate your child will have a good time while participating in our programs at the Club. We have a hands-on approach to learning. Some activities may involve water, paint, mud, sand, etc.
If you send your child to the Club in dress clothes, please prepare your child with an extra set of play clothes for him/her to change into when they arrive at the Club.
General Code of Conduct
· Club members must sign-in and out each day
· Food and drinks will be consumed in the snack bar area only
· Club members are allowed in supervised areas only
· Club members are responsible for neatly hanging up their jackets, school bags and other belongings in our coat area
· Fighting is not permitted on Club grounds or at Club events
· Swearing is unacceptable
· Club members are responsible for picking up after themselves
· Club members are to be respectful, responsible, safe and kind
Harmful threats, harassing, taunting of others, fighting, bullying, and any illegal behavior are unacceptable and will not be tolerated at the Boys & Girls Club.
Respect yourself, other Club members, and Club staff members
Respect Club equipment and materials
Keep hands, feet, and hurtful words to yourself
Youth should dress comfortably and wear clothes that allow them to participate in typical Club activities and programs.
- Jackets or coats cannot be worn inside the Club.
- Backpacks may not be carried around inside the Club unless going to the Learning Center.
- To participate safely in activities, we encourage wearing tennis shoes and socks. Black soled shoes are not permitted in the gym.
- Refrain from clothing that has words or pictures that are offensive, derogatory; contain inappropriate language, and/or signs.
- Revealing clothing cannot be worn at the Club.
- Shorts and skirt hems should touch your fingertips when your arms are relaxed at your side.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Refrain from wearing any clothing that is promoting gangs or gang related activities.
- Socks must be worn when using our Wii Fit board.
Disciplinary Actions & Consequences
Minor misbehavior is handled with disciplinary actions depending on the situation. All discipline issues will be handled on an individual basis. Any member who disrupts programs or creates a dangerous situation will be given consequences for their actions. Members who do not follow rules can expect to lose privileges and face consequences.
Disciplinary actions may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Verbal coaching/re-teaching behavior
- Suspension from program area
- Loss of Club privilege
- Club service projects
- Suspension (one day or more)
- Indefinite suspension (until the situation can be resolved or the parent/guardian is consulted)
- Expulsion (i.e. permanent suspension – membership revoked)
- Contacting the proper authorities
Children with Special Requirements
To make sure your child is safe and has positive, meaningful and engaging opportunities while at our Club, our staff member to child ratio is 1 to 18 or less. Keeping that ratio in mind, if your child needs assistance with personal cares, has physical restrictions, or if there are behavioral concerns that would require your child to have a personal assistant, it is the responsibility of your family to provide that one-on-one assistant while your child is participating at the Club.
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Solutions
We have a close working relationship with the Sparta Area School District. At the Club, we incorporate the same positive behavior plan that most of your children are experiencing during the school day.
Currently our Club members are being taught, assessed and rewarded when demonstrating acts of being safe, respectful, kind and responsible. These four qualities, while being taught on a daily basis, are our expectations for behavior while your child is at the Club.
Getting to Know Us
Since 1995 the Boys & Girls Club of Sparta has been in the forefront of youth development. The Club is dedicated to ensuring our community’s youth have greater access to quality programs and services that will enhance their lives and shape their futures. Our programs and committed staff engage youth in positive and purposeful activities with both adult and peer supports that promote self-esteem, confidence, self-help skills, and a love of life-long learning.
A Mission of Hope & Opportunity
Our mission is to enable all young people to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens.
Thoughts become words
Words become actions
Actions become Character
Character is everything!